From the Parish Nurse Ministry
TAKE YOUR BEST SHOT AT THE FLU THIS SEASON ASK YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT GETTING THE FLU SHOT THERE IS STILL TIME!!
The flu season is here. Only You are responsible for preventing giving yourself the flu or flu-like illnesses. IF we follow the 4 principles of hand awareness, we can make a difference in preventing a flu epidemic or future pandemic. We MUST understand that we as humans PERPETUATE the disease and the POWER is in each and everyone of our HANDS to prevent it. We need to correct and improve our Awareness of our OWN
Personal Hygiene and Respiratory Etiquette Habits.
Direct Inoculation of your mucous membranes (eyes, nose or mouth) is how infectious disease enters your body. Germs are located on dirty hands and by touching your eyes, nose or mouth, you infect yourself with these germs. Germs are not wafting
through ventilation systems in your house or classroom.
SPREAD THE WORD NOT THE GERMS
Follow the 4 principles of hand awareness:
1. WASH your hands when they are dirty and BEFORE eating.
2. DO NOT cough into your hands.
3. DO NOT sneeze into your hands.
4. Above all, DO NOT put your fingers in your nose, mouth or rub your eyes.
EFFECTIVE HAND WASHING
- Remove Jewelry if possible.
- Use warm water and wet your hands thoroughly.
- Use soap and lather well.
- Scrub hands, between fingers, wrists, and forearms and under nails with soap for 20 seconds (Sing Happy Birthday x 2).
- Rinse thoroughly and if possible use single use towel or aid dryer and turn off faucet with a paper towel.
- Protect your hands from touching dirty surfaces as you
leave the bathroom.
- Wash your hands and practice 4 principles of hand awareness
for a safer and healthier you and parish here at St. Mark’s.