Msgr. Johnson, a priest for 66 years, was the third pastor of St. Mark’s from 1968 until his retirement on May 14, 1994. He remained pastor emeritus of the church until his death. Previously, he had served for two years as pastor of St. Thomas the Apostle Church in Palmer, Mass. Msgr. Johnson had also worked in the Springfield chancery for many years, becoming vice officialis in 1951 and then officialis, the highest judicial position in the diocese, from 1954 until 1969. During the Second Vatican Council, he served as a consultant to Bishop Christopher J. Weldon in Rome. In 1963, Msgr. Johnson was elevated to prothonotary apostolic, one of the highest honorary offices in the priesthood. Following his ordination in 1932, he had served several parishes in Northampton and Worcester, and also at St. Michael’s Cathedral in Springfield.